Skip to main content

Too Nice Out to Job Search?


“Too Nice Out to Job Search?
By Alicia Pozsony, Editor PSG Newsletter

Someone said to me recently, “It’s too nice out to job search”. I agreed, but the more I thought about it, the more I contradicted myself. Throughout the week that followed, I quickly discovered that the places I visited and people I encountered were all good opportunities to network. I recalled one specific action that is key when networking: Help someone else so that they might remember you and repay the favor.

You never know who you are going to meet. So this summer when you are out and about, doing more activities, visiting outdoor places, festivals, carnivals and gatherings of friends and family, be aware of how you can be of help to those around you – where appropriate, offer advice, see if they are accepting of it, and welcome their paybacks to you later. Always have your business card handy.

Networking is the best way to land your next job, so even when the weather is cooperating and the sun smiles down on you, and remember you can still be active in your job search. Searching doesn’t have to end after time on the computer; human interaction is one of the best ways you can job search. Last month I wrote about Paying it Forward and May Showers and Spring Flowers and this month take time to smell the roses. Take a breath and know that things will improve, given enough time and initiative.Ω

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHALLENGE YOURSELF!

By Alicia Pozsony, Editor in Chief, Mercer County PSG Monthly Newsletter I recently picked up a printout of The Seven Phases of Job Loss, which I found in the PSG room. I recall liking that chart ever since I first entered the room and thought about becoming a member. When I first saw the chart, I thought I’d experience all of the phases once and eventually get hired. I never imagined I’d be out of work as long as I have been. As some of you may know, I’m still unemployed. I seem to be taking a different course from the one I originally planned--five years married and 20 years as a professional; it shouldn't be too hard to take the usual A-to-B route of landing a job. And for someone who’s been a professional for 20 years, it wasn’t easy to change my course of action. Maybe this is something you can relate to. Shock. Denial. Anger. Depression. Acceptance. Explore options. Develop plans. I never thought I’d be going through these phases multiple times during my unemployment period.

Align with your Peers and Collaborate!

By Alicia Pozsony If you want to know if the economy is picking up for 2010, turn on any news channel. If you want to know recent labor statistics, go to http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm. On the other hand, if you don’t want to read the numbers, because you are one of the unemployed, then perhaps think for a moment of all those of us still hanging in there trying to find a position, wait it out, or even deciding to move on. A friend recently told me of her weighing the options she had, and she was right in finally deciding to get out and try all over again in a different place. It’s not always as simple of just a choice for those of us, with family and friends nearby, kids in school, lack of money to get out, stuck in a mortgage (or two or three) that we can’t pay off. So what then? I’ve written in past months about the importance of updating your resume, focusing your time and energy on staying motivated, not giving up, and considering your back-up careers and back u

How to Stay Ahead in Today's Job Market

To stay ahead, and not get bogged down or overwhelmed, there are a few things you have to do when job searching in today's market.  Stay informed.  Read, read, read. There are many articles online about  job searching that list what to do and not do. Spend time each day reading articles online.  Lower your expectations and rise above.  If you expect to go out and get the first job out of 10 you apply to, you might get let down. A lot has changed in the job market from 5, 10, 15, or 20 years ago.  Employers can get the 10 out of 10 perfect candidate.  Revitalize yourself on paper and electronically with a resume and LinkedIn profile done by a professional ( New Resume = New You ) and rise above the rest! Know your timeframe. Your search WILL take Longer.  It's still good to know someone to get a foot in the door. So, add Networking to your list. Contact me for details on how and where to network. Network. With the advancement of social media and the Internet, there